Do you want to save money and be kinder to the environment? It’s easier than you might think. A few simple changes in your everyday energy consumption can do both. Here are some energy conservation tips to help you save money in energy costs while still enjoying your home appliances.
- Buy EnergyStar compliant appliances that also have a CEE tier. This tier compliments the EnergyStar qualification. So while an Energy Star appliance is known to be efficient, for the best electricity and water efficiency, also look for the CEE Tier. There are three levels of CEE tiers, I, II and III, with the highest number (III) being the best for energy efficiency.
- During hot sunny weather, close curtains and blinds to keep the house cool and reduce the need for fans or air conditioning.
- Turn off bathroom and kitchen fans when no longer required; they are pulling the heat or coolness from the house.
- Trees can help shade exterior air-conditioning units; they’ll use less energy. They also provide shade, and protect from drafts and winds.
- Choose cooling appliances suited to your room size. A larger unit may be wasting energy.
- To save on air conditioning, raise the setting by several degrees. You will not notice the change, only the energy savings.
- Portable air conditioners are usually sufficient to keep a single room cool, saving on more expensive cooling appliances.
- Change your appliance filters as recommended. Routine filter changes will help your appliances work efficiently, extend their life, and reduce energy costs.
- Ceiling fans can provide sufficient air movement to make a room comfortable, and may reduce the need for air conditioning.
- Optimize the benefits of your ceiling fans by ensuring the rotation of the blades is correct for winter and summer.
During winter, to help move warm air that is trapped on the ceiling, blades should turn in a clockwise motion. This movement will pull the warm trapped air down the sides of the room improving heat distribution.
During summer, to help produce a cooling breeze, blades should rotate in a counter-clockwise motion. The movement has the same effect as when you fan yourself to get relief from hot air.
Saving energy means more dollars in your pocket and more valuable environmental resources for the future. So what are you waiting for?