Humidifier Settings, Installation and Maintenance Tips

9 Responses

1. Barry Crouch says:

It is also important to know which type of humidifier is best for you – a warm or cool mist humidifier. There are only a couple of difference between the warm and cool mist humidifiers. For example, if small children are in the house the cool mist is recommended. However, it is important to consult your physician to determine which is better for you and your family.

2. Chet says:

Thanks for this — it reminded me I need to change my filter! The 35% threshold is a useful tip also.

3. Jim says:

Remember on super cold days to turn your humidifier down. If you can see condensation/water forming on the inside of your windows (usually starts on the bottom edge) then your humidifier is set to high. I typically run mine around 30 percent and when the outside temp drops below 20 I drop my humidifier setting to 25… if the outside temp goes below 10 then I drop the humidifier setting to 20. It is also a good idea to replace the filter twice per season as many areas have hard water and the filter gets coated with calcium and lime.

4. Adi says:

If there’s a baby in the house, making sure the house has the right level of humidity is very important!
    (Having a 3 month old, I take extra care with this).
    Thanks for this post!

5. Frank Jovine says:

Glad this post was helpful. Jim I had that condensation problem at my old house. What a pain.

6. Fred says:

For a cold weather, steam from boiling pot is great and save. But don’t recommend if you have a child in that room.

7. Saz says:

This is a really helpful article. Thanks.

8. Nancy says:

this is a very good thing, indeed, indispensable in any home, but it requires constant care, sometimes it does not reach the hands. are there ways to make the care of the humidifier less often?

9. Mike says:

Hi

I have a home furnace / humidifier installed and recently the temperature have been dropping to -20C. Before this big temperature drop, the humidity was around 40%. Since the drop, the home humidity is now around 25%.

I have not changed the humidity level and the filter was installed in Oct. Of last year.

What should I do? Is something wrong with my humidifier? I didn’t understand why the article says to dial down humidity as temperature drops…even though there’s even less humidity in the house.

Appreciate your response. Thank you!