15 Maintenance Tips to Winterize Your Home
Winter has arrived here in the mid-west right on time! If you’re a homeowner it’s not too late to winterize your home. Most of the tasks are easy and in the long run it can save you money and keep your family safe during the cold winter months ahead.
If you’re not sure on how to perform any of these maintenance tips to winterize your home, you should hire a professional service provider that’s qualified and licensed. It’s best to have peace of mind knowing the job is getting done right!
Winter Maintenance Tips:
- Check and replace smoke detector batteries.
- Check and replace carbon monoxide detector batteries.
- Replace furnace filters every 4 to 6 weeks during the heating season.
- If you heat with gas make sure your registers are clear from obstruction and are cleaned
- Replace screens with storm windows.
- Clean out gutters to prevent ice buildup.
- Inspect and or upgrade attic insulation.
- Insulate pipes in unheated areas of your home
- Remove and store garden hoses and shut off water spigots.
- Check and clean the fireplace flue for obstructions such as bird nests, and trim back any overlapping branches or large trees.
- Check your roof for missing, cracked or loose shingles and get them fixed immediately.
- Check and replace door & window weather-stripping for air leaks.
- Remove window air condition units so that heat doesn’t escape easily.
- Winterize your in-ground or above ground pool.
- Make sure to clear snow from walkways and driveways as soon as possible to prevent freezing ice to form.
Have a tip you would like to share? Please leave us a comment.
I wish you and your families a very happy and healthy holiday season!